Eye Level Malaysia Back to school promo
Join our Facebook Group
Shopee Ramadan Sale

Thursday, August 16, 2007

Correcting Your Child's Pencil Hold

Both my children do not hold their pencils correctly. My girl holds hers with the thumb crossing over to the other side near to her index finger. I am having a hard time correcting her pencil grip because I did not bother to teach or rather I did not even think of teaching her the correct way from the start thinking it will come naturally.

My boy is just starting to write now and he also holds his pencils in the wrong manner. He sort of holds it with four fingers leaving only the little finger free. Furthermore he is left-handed whereas I am right-handed. When I tried to show him the correct way, he told me "That is my favourite. You have your favourite. That is my favourite." *rolls eyes* pretty strong headed and opinionated for a 3 year old. In other words, he's a stubborn little 3 year old.

Anyway, I tried to search the internet for some pictures or articles so I could teach them the right way to hold a pencil but I couldn't find anything accept for this one: How to Hold a Pencil from Draw Your World - Correct Pencil Grip.

Then I visited Mommy-fied's blog and saw the link which she found and posted ie the tip on Teaching A Child To Hold A Pencil. I'm definitely going to try it and see if it works. Thank you mommy-fied for sharing. Thats what I love about blogging.

To other parents. Does your child hold his/her pencil correctly from the start? Did you have to show them or did it come naturally? I am worried that it will be hard to correct now they have gotten off on the wrong start.

Popular Posts